About the Box
Houdini Toolbox is a site dedicated to providing free Houdini materials pertaining to tool development. We believe that everything on this site should be both useful and educational. It is run and contributed to by Graham Thompson. If you have any comments, questions, requests, suggestions or are interested in contributing please let us know.
All the content on this site is free for both personal and commercial use. All components are provide "as is". In no event shall the author or this site be liable for any damage or problems caused by using any component.
You are free to modify and include any components in new or existing projects. However, if you do make changes or improvements it would be great if you could share your the changes, either here or somewhere else, to further people's learning and Houdini experience. It's our goal to provide as much learning materials and examples as possible in the hopes of allowing people to get the most of out their Houdini experience.
No one can have all the great ideas. If anything you can never have enough good ideas for things to create. Houdini Toolbox welcomes your requests and suggestions for improvements to existing tools and ideas for new tools and educational material. We can't promise to fulfill your request or if we do that it will actually be any good, but we'll give it our best as time dictates.
When considering a request for a new tool or an enhancement to an existing one please consider the following:
- What is the reason for building the tool?
- Be as descriptive as possible.
- If possible provide an example of what is it you wish to accomplish.
- Should an existing tool be enhanced or should a new tool be created?
- How will changes affect existing scenes or setups?
For educational material there are a couple things to consider.
- What kind of material are you looking for? Do you want a straight up tutorial or more of a discussion of theory and ideas?
- What specifically do you want to see? Be specific as possible. If you say you want to see something on assets you need to specify what exact part of assets you are interested in since a lot of Houdini is far reaching and complex.
New features in development include:
- More education material dealing with tool development and Python.
- Sections for some basic HDK operators, as well as a collection of random .hip files.
- Miscellaneous downloads - Color schemes, desktops, attribute visualization preferences, etc.
- Help card parsing for assets and tools.
- Better and custom icons for everything rather than relying on ones that ship with Houdini.
All Houdini content pages are dynamically generated using a database and by parsing actual content files.
This site is best viewed using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer. Unfortunately some browsers may not display certain elements as intended. If you have problems viewing the site please send an email with your web browser version, operating system and a screenshot.